Sunday, March 4, 2012

Card Show Pickups Part 1

I took the day off work today to go to my first card show in years.  After spending the last few nights making a list of some cards I was looking for and setting some basic ground rules for myself (namely, a nice card collection doesn't store well in an eviction notice) I was ready.  I just got back home and discovered two things:

1.  I only picked up one card that was on my want list.
2.  I don't care about discovery 1.

I went in hoping to complete some Cubs sets from the '80s & '90s.  I left being much closer to having completed sets from the '60s than I have sets from the late '90s.  To start, here's 1963:



These two were traded to the Cubs, along with Lindy McDaniel, from the Cardinals.  I picked them up for 0.25 each.



More quarter pickups!  Every time I see a card of Jim Brewer, this comes to mind:


But the highlight of the '63 Cubs I picked up today has to be this:


The best part about it?  I found it while looking through a dealer's dollar box.  He didn't know how it wound up in there himself but I was amazed when he honored the dollar price.  Well, maybe he saw the growing stack of cards I had on the table and decided he was going to get money out of me regardless.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment